Friday, February 19, 2010

Love, Love, Love


Valentine's Day was very special this year. I think the fact that it was on a Sunday made it unique for our first married Valentine's Day. We had a really nice weekend.
Here's what we did:
  • Michael went to a friend's bachelor party
  • I attended a bridal shower
  • We went to the 9:30 session at the temple on Saturday (early but worth it!)
  • We spent a nice evening at home on Sunday to enjoy each other and snuggle while watching a cute love-filled movie.
  • And Sunday evening was also accompanied by a steak dinner (thank you mom!)

As we went to different wedding-related events, it made me think about our wedding and how exciting and wonderful marriage is. I thought about how much fun Michael is and how much he makes me laugh. Everyday is an adventure with him. He keeps me grounded, yet lifts me up when I'm down. When I'm cold, he unzips his coat and hugs me so I can feel all the warmth that was trapped in there. He tells me I'm pretty. He insists on opening the door for me always. He loves me. And I love him. We've got a good thing going here.

So, let me tell you about this steak dinner and the marinade we used. Oh the marinade! It was to die for. I didn't have all of the ingredients the recipe required, so I improvised a bit, but it turned out to be sublime.
Here's the recipe:

Garlic Marinade [adapted from Betty Crocker Cookbook]
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (used garlic powder instead)
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1/2 tsp. ground mustard (used mustard seeds, they pop in your mouth)
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar (used about 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar)
1/4 cup dry sherry or apple juice
1 tbs. black pepper
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning such as Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Mama

Place steaks in plastic Ziploc bag, pour marinade over meat, making sure to coat fully. Seal bag and place in glass baking dish (just in case the bag leaks) and refrigerate for at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Originally, I thought it seemed weird to combine rosemary with mustard, garlic, and soy sauce, but were we ever surprised when we tasted our steaks the next night. The marinade made the meat tender and juicy and we were very, very happy. High recommendations on this one. Perfect end to a perfect Valentine's weekend. Love is in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment