Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ratatouille with Spicy Sausage

Now this may not be the Ratatouille from Disney's "Ratatouille", but don't let looks deceive you. I've been wanting to make Ratatouille for some time, and finally came across a recipe that interested me. Thank you Biggest Loser Club for your weekly emails of scrumptious (and healthy) recipes!

And don't worry, I have a goal to recreate the masterpiece featured in the computer-animated movie. But that is for another time and by other time I mean when I own a mandolin so I can slice the ingredients paper thin and with ease.
Michael, who was lucky enough to spend two years in France whilst serving an LDS mission, happened upon Ratatouille quite a few times during his time there. When I told him I was going to make it for dinner one day this week, he was excited beyond my expectations. That's when I became nervous. "What if it doesn't taste right? What if I cook it incorrectly? What if I'm not French enough?" Okay, that last one is a little over the top, because hey, I do have French blood in me. All these worries were nothing that a little ingenuity and experimentation in the kitchen couldn't fix.

To make a long story short, he loved it. He said it tasted just perfect, then cleaned his plate and distributed himself a second helping. Yes! Apparently, all I forgot was to serve it with couscous on the side. He said it's the French thing to do. So, next time I make it I will pair it with some good old-fashioned couscous. And what can hardly get more perfect, will finally reach true perfection. Until then, enjoy this super simple and super flavorful recipe of a classic French Provencal dish.


Ratatouille with Spicy Sausage
(adapted from The Biggest Loser Club)

Ingredients:
2 (4-ounce) links spicy Italian turkey sausage
3 zucchini (yellow or green)
1 medium yellow onion
1 eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 red, yellow, or green bell peppers
2 large tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs. grated lemon zest
1 tbs. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
Ground black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, for garnish

Directions:
  1. Cook the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until there is no more pink. Drain well, crumble, and set aside.
  2. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Dice the zucchini, onion, eggplant, bell peppers, and tomatoes into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Lightly coat the vegetables with the olive oil and season with lemon zest, basil, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and garlic. 
  3. Mix all ingredients together and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and slightly browned on the outside.
  4. Once the vegetables are cooked, combine with the sausage and garnish with the parsley.
Makes 4 servings

1 comment:

  1. Looks super yum. I have always wanted to try Ratatouille!

    ReplyDelete